Monday, August 23, 2010

{Aug 10} Skagway, AK

Moving onward, we made our way on Tuesday to Skagway.

For this shore excursion, we did the White Pass and Yukon Route train ride. This was the site of the famous Klondike Gold Rush of 1897.


Just a picture reinforcing what I already said above. But just in case you didn't believe me:


The views on this ride were spectacular.




Bridal Veil Falls. This waterfall cascades 6,000 feet from the glaciers on Mt. Cleveland and Mt. Clifford, or atleast that what the complimentary onboard magazine said.






This steel bridge was constructed in 1901, and was the tallest cantilever (don't worry, I didn't know what cantilever meant either) bridge in the world. It was used until 1969. As stable as it looks, I can't imagine why it's no longer in use.


After we made it safely back down the pass, we did a little more sightseeing.


The Red Onion Saloon. Good thing I'm not a drinker. Look at that line. (It also may or may not have to do with the fact that it was a famous brothel in 1897)



Alrighty then.


In my best Sesame Street singing voice, "One of these things is not like the other. One of these just doesn't belong. Can you tell which thing is not like the other, before I finish my song?"


If you guessed the sad, dejected looking bird on the left, you would be correct.

Back to the ship. Our home away from home . . .



. . .and off to dinner!

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

Wow. We have a Bridal Veil Falls in Provo too. It kinda feels a little insignificant now.

I LOVE that picture of you in front of the red train car! I LOVE IT! Wow, Alaska is so quaint; I had no idea. Beautiful.