Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Flowers, Speech and Mud

I don't have any pictures from Adam's cruise yet, but I hope to soon. He's been busy, busy with work and all since he's been back, so I haven't talked to him much, but he said he had a GREAT time. I wanted to show these flowers he got me before he left on the cruise though. They were so pretty and bright and cheery! And the amazing part is that they are still looking pretty good, though it's been a week and a half.


As for a little knew news - Mieley met with a speech pathologist on Monday. For those who don't know, Mieley is able to pronounce one syllable words fairly well. However, when I ask her to say a two or three syllable word, she'll sometimes leave off the first (or second) syllable and only pronounce the last syllable. She also struggles with putting more than two words together in a sentence. She's pretty good at her facial expressions and coming up with her own sign language to communicate what she wants instead. I don't have ANY concerns that she doesn't understand words, just that she won't/can't put words together to talk back to me.

So back to the speech pathologist - We met on Monday and she did about a 45 minute "test" with Mieley. She had Mieley say words to her, and talk in a microphone, and then had me make conversation with Mieley so she could see how she communicates. I was afraid Mieley would be shy and not talk, but instead she opened right up and did everything she was supposed too. I don't find out until next Monday if Mieley will qualify or not (the state has to approve it), but the speech pathologist thought that she should. Then Mieley will start going to a class once a week and hopefully we can jump this hurdle before she heads to school.

The weather's been a little bit nicer here too. I'm getting so excited for spring. Especially for the warmer weather, and of course our baby comes then too. Most of the snow has melted, but now there is puddles of water and MUD everywhere. Mieley and Adalyn just had to get out of the house yesterday - and this is how Mieley came back.


Though she was a mess, I found her so adorable. I love the mud specs all over her face. She kinda reminded me of this:

Maybe I should change her name to Pippy Longstocking.

4 comments:

Amber C. said...

Mieley and I would get along great!! I have some sort of strange attachment to freckles, and I happen to know an aspiring speech pathologist. ;)

Tanya said...

I bet once she starts talking better you wont get her to stop! she's such a cutie. Chloe was pretty muddy to, I only thought to take pictures of her after she was in the bath..oh well,when she came in she rang the doorbell and had a huge smile on her muddy face when I opened it, it was pretty cute. She said they were planting a tree, she learned about trees that day in school, so I'm sure the whole thing was her idea...sorry.

melanie said...

good luck with the clasees!!!

Megan B ♥ said...

Love the mud freckles! I'm glad you took her to a speech pathologist. My early intervention nurse came today to meet with Crew and I've decided that they aren't all bad :) I'm glad we have her and we've just bumped up our meetings to twice per month. DeAnna's daughter was in speech for exactly what you describe. Can't shut her up now, LOL! And I mean that in a good way :)