Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I Did It!

Can I get a Woohoo?!?! I finished my fourth (and final until probably next summer) 1/2 marathon last Saturday. This race was in Pocatello, ID.

Of course I wanted to beat my best time, but no such luck. I must say at about mile 9, I was 7 minutes. . .7 MINUTES ahead of schedule to where I needed to be to get a better time, but my body had a total shut down right after mile 10. I think the conversation with my body went something like this.

My body: "Ouch! Cramp! Ooohh, that hurts. Stop! Walk! Now!"
My brain: "Quiet! You're fine! Only 3 more miles. You can do it."
My body: "No! Stop now!"
My brain: "No! Gotta keep moving."
My body: "Why are you torturing yourself? You've already done 3 races. Who really cares if you finish 5 minutes slower than you want to. Does it really matter?"
My brain: "Yes, it matters. Define yourself. Don't be weak."
My body: "You're so tired. Just walk, just walk, just walk. Just for a minute."
My brain: "Crap . . I'm walking."

And so in a moment's time, I started walking and couldn't really get back to a good jog the rest of the three miles. I didn't do horrible, but not my greatest either. But I must say I am proud of myself for doing two 1/2 marathons two Saturday's in a row and four 1/2 marathons in one summer. And yes, I do talk to myself a lot while running.

My stats:

Time: 2 hours 10 minutes 15 seconds
116th place (out of 213) for all runners, male and female
45th place (out of 123) for all female 1/2 marathon runners
12th place (out of 25) for my age division: Women 25 - 29

I don't have any pictures running, but hopefully I can get one off the Pocatello marathon website when they post them. Here's my cutie patootie girlies wearing my racing shirt and medal. And the lovely background is the dreaded treadmill.





Saturday night and Sunday day we went to Palisades to visit Adam's family who were camping up there. Saturday was nice, but by the time we got up there Sunday the thunder clouds and rain had moved in. So we mostly drove through the mountains, which is always nice and a good reminder of the beauty on this earth. Monday day started out wonderful, but by that afternoon I was so sick. I stayed on the couch all yesterday (thankfully Adam's dad rescued me and came and got the girls for the day - THANK YOU!) and tried not to move too much. Today is a much, much better day. By tomorrow, I should be back to 100%. I hate getting sick. So not fun.

And one last thing! Congrats to my brother and sis-in-law MARDIE for their new beautiful baby girl born August 30th! I'm so happy for them and can't wait to meet my newest niece. Love you guys!

6 comments:

The ZamFam said...

I would imagine that 2 saturdays in a row wold do that to a body! Your brain must be smart!!! LOL! Congrats!

Kim said...

You are amazing. Congrats on finishing yet another. Two weekends in a row is a great accomplishment. My body still remembers the day I ran. I tried to run the other day and my feet started screaming at me. I need to get back out though.

Megan B ♥ said...

You're the inspiration, I feel a Chicago song running through my head! ROCK ON, congrats and PS, you're nuts, but I'm SUPER proud of your nuttiness. Can't believe you REALLY did it two weekends in a row. You're awesome!

Chelan said...

Congratulations! Wow. That pretty much sums up my thoughts. WOW.

KWit said...

ha ha ha... I loved reading the brain/body argument... Very entertaining especially the CRAP I'm walking! he he. You did awesome that is so great. I'm still working on that goal of mine to do a 1/2 marathon... yup still working!

Bryce said...

Nice Work Kayla on those runs.

I some how stumbled onto your blog, an interesting story, and just wanted to say hello. So....Hello.

Your family looks amazing.